Specialists' Advice on Public Liability Insurance
If you run a business you must be familiar with public liability insurance and why it's an essential part of any business. Having such cover is important not just for the smooth run of your business but also for building trust in your customers and saving money from claims against your business. Running your own company may be stressful and you have to be careful who might be affected from your activities as a business and how you'll react in case you cause damage to a property or a person.
What is covered?
• Any damage caused to members of the public by a business operation or the worker carrying it out on the company's behalf.
• Any damage caused to a third party's property by your business or employees acting your behalf.
• A member of the public falling ill due to the company's activities -- for example food poisoning in your restaurant.
Who needs it?
- If you have a retail shop or a restaurant, this is a place where a lot of your customers visit you and they need to be covered while on your premises.
- If you work at your customer's locations - as a contractor, builder, handyman, plumber, etc.
- If you work in public spaces where any member of the public may get injured such as entertainers, builders, etc.
Limit on your public liability insurance
The limit mainly depends on the type of business activities you are carrying out. The minimum is £1m and is appropriate for self employed people, small or family business. For medium to large businesses the limit increases to £2m and even £10m depending on the activity.
Why obtain public liability insurance?
If you own a business that involves contact with day to day contact with customers or members of the public, such insurance is highly recommended. It is not a requirement by law to have public liability insurance whereas if you employ people -- employer's liability is compulsory. We recommend getting a public liability cover just in case something happens and you don't have to face a huge bill of legal and compensation costs.
How and where to shop for public liability
You can usually browse and compare quotes for public liability online. We recommend you to visit ConstructaQuote.com. They compare prices from top insurers such as Aviva, Zurich, MMA Insurance, Ageas and many more. Once you choose your provider and pay, you will be instantly covered.
Insuremyliability are a similar comparison site. It's good to visit at least two sites of this kind as sometimes insurance companies provide different discounts to those sites.
You may want to read more about: Event Insurance