Tenants insurance – Are your valuables covered?

When renting a flat or in a house-share arrangement, getting a content insurance policy is a great step to consider as it helps protect your property from theft or in some cases, accidental damage. Many tenants assume the landlord covers their belongings but this is simply not the case. Ask yourself whether your landlord knows the value of the belongings you brought when you moved in and the answer is probably no. So how can you possibly be covered for them? This kind of an insurance policy differs from a landlord’s insurance policy and although it is not mandatory to have tenants insurance, it is highly advisable to consider its benefits and get cover to protect you in case of emergency. Tenants insurance helps to cover for things such as electronic appliances, clothes, jewellery, furniture and antiques among other items. It is important to have any additional items you buy for your home covered especially if they are of great value to you. Read on to find out what you should consider when looking for tenants insurance.

Always choose the right policy

There are different types of contents insurance that you should consider before signing an agreement and it’s essential you know exactly what’s covered. Whether you choose to get covered for accidental damage, or prefer to insure your items for theft, fire and water damage, this will need looking into in detail. Some policies allow you to insure items under your tenants insurance, even if you regularly take them out of the home. There’s also “new for old” cover that you could consider, which can be a very good thing – meaning you get a new item if your old one is damaged or stolen. Considering all of your options before choosing a policy is essential to getting the right cover.

What is covered

Different policies may vary but the basics are covered in all:

- Clothes and jewellery

- Bedding, cushions and other furnishings

- Electrical equipment 

- Mobile phones, laptops, tablets

- Personal furniture items 

- Bicycles


Different insurance companies have different definitions for valuables. It is good to check and ensure that you the single article limit best suits your needs, as this is what your insurer will pay you in the event you need to make a claim. You may need to notify your insurer of anything you consider valuable including engagement rings or anything that is of greater value than single article limit. Always be aware that this could require that you pay extra money for it to be covered. Items included in this are high value computers, jewellery and technical equipment, so make a full inventory of the high value items you have. It’s always a wise idea to keep receipts for these too.

Don’t underinsure

There is always a temptation for those on a budget to underinsure in a bid to reduce the amount of premium payable. However, this could prove to be a costly mistake if something happens during the period of cover. You should instead go for enough cover to help you replace your items in case of damage or theft. This will help avoid stress in case your insurance company decides to the amount they pay in case your claim only covers a few items. For example, if your possessions are valued at £50,000 and you only insure them for £25,000, all your insurer will pay is the sum insured for. It may not sound like a big deal, after all £25,000 is a fair amount of money, but you will be left out of pocket and may not be able to afford to replace the things you really need.

Who offers tenants insurance?

You should always make sure that your tenant insurance is up-to-date and one good way to do this is to pay by direct debit. There are many insurance companies offering content insurance in the UK including Tesco, AA, Admiral (covers up to £50,000, £75,000 for Admiral Gold and £100,000 for Admiral platinum based on eligibility), Churchill (new-for-old-replacement) and Aviva among others. Always compare prices and look at different deals and reviews before buying tenants insurance.

You may want to read about: Tenancy Agreement.